Monday, March 8, 2010

Working During Spring Break

Well, it is officially spring break! I am really going to miss all this great time off when I'm out of school and have a job--maybe I should be a permanent student...

Anyway, I'm back in my hometown with most of my family for the next few days. I spent some time in Ann Arbor two days ago with some friends who dropped me at home on their way to New Orleans. I bought a beautiful coffee mug (I would upload a picture now, but I forgot the transfer cord so you'll just have to wait with baited breath until I get back to school) at a fair trade store in Ann Arbor, and walked around some old bookstores, coffee shops, and cafes for a few hours after having pie for breakfast.

So far it has been a really wonderful break! I did a MK facial with my mom yesterday and got some great feedback. She's supporting me a lot with creating new business opportunities--reaching out to people I know and being more direct and proactive about asking to do facials with them. I only have a short amount of time to meet my 30 faces goal! Eeee!

I'm feeling nervous about calling people and asking for support--I'm afraid of getting rejected or sounding like an idiot or being overly pushy. I heard once that if you don't have a job, you should make getting a job your full-time job--that is, waking up early, showering and putting on business clothes, and then making so many calls an hour asking about interviews and job availability. Well, I have a job, but it's a little bit like not having one. I don't go into an office or restaurant, put on a uniform, and type/file/serve/manage/style 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. I work from home, and my business depends almost entirely on making calls and asking for business opportunities, and selling myself and my services (wow, that sounds bad... I don't mean it like that!) to people that don't know me very well. What I've got to do is push myself out of my comfort zone anyway, find support from my close friends and family, and remember that I am alright, even if I call someone and they're not interested in Mary Kay.

Well, I'm off to work my business. Make a great day!

Learning lots,
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment