Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Michigan Left

I made my first Michigan left turn today. I also explored Mount Clemens and went to a movie by myself--Sherlock Holmes, and I was disappointed.

I could have avoided making one of the crazy Michigan left turns, but I decided that I wanted it to be my new learn/do for the day. For those of you who aren't familiar with the Michigan Left, it goes something like this: On many major roads, instead of making a direct left turn onto it, you need to make a right turn then get into the left lane and, a few yards later, make a quick u-turn-like left to go on the opposite direction. These left turns involve crossing a wide "median" and often waiting for a light to turn green and cross-traffic to stop. This is the only occasion that I am aware of where it is legal for right-side-of-the-road drivers to make a left turn on red, since you wouldn't have to be crossing traffic, just pulling out into it.

I also learned that I am comfortable going to the movies by myself, eating lunch by myself, and sitting in a public place (like a Panera) while reading or knitting by myself.

That's all for now!

Learning lots,
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment