Thursday, February 25, 2010

Stromboli (no, not the puppet bad guy from Pinnocchio)

I am baking a stromboli! For those of you who don't know what it is, or only know the Pinnocchio reference, it is basically a rolled up pizza. It's pizza, jelly-roll style! I bought a frozen pizza dough ball a few days ago and put it in the fridge yesterday and it nearly tripled in size as it thawed! When I opened it I discovered that the size was primarily gas (hello, Yeast, thanks for doing your job) and that pizza dough is not as sticky as I feared--I shaped it quite evenly without much difficulty.

I also learned that tomato sauce (from a can) is not necessarily what you ought to use for pizza sauce. The consistency was rather like a V8 and tasted like it too. Not terrbile, but definitely not pizza-y.

I also thought rolling it would be easy-peasy, but alas, I was wrong on that, too. So now I have an oddly shaped, uncooked stromboli waiting to be put in the oven, and I can't help but be a little grateful that I'm still full from my Max&Erma's dinner I had earlier. And, if it sucks, Steve can just order a pizza! Or eat my leftovers.

I am meeting with my poetry professor tomorrow to dicsuss my recent inability to write more than a few condensed lines about anything. I bet this has something to do with my current haibun-haiku fixation. Not that I'm complaining, but I really would like to turn in my second poem before spring break so I don't have to rush to write five more after.

My friend just started a blog about reading, books, and bibliophilia! If she okays me linking her blog, I will come back and paste in the link. Yay for having a community of people who like writing down and sharing their thoughts!

Learning lots,
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment